Spooner's Boreen.

Leave your troubles at the door and grab a drink.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

There's no such thing as an Irish alcoholic.. Hic-up

It would seem the festive season has passed for many, but here in the Emerald Isle, the party never ends. It has been go go go since i arrived here on December 19th and i thought the passing of little Christmas would bring a sense of normality back to life, but i forget myself, incessant drinking and partying is more than a social activity, its our culture- and i love it.

Prior to my return to Dublin, I must admit i was a little nervous about what I'd find after a year abroad. I was sure everything would have changed and the people i knew and loved would have cast me to the back of their minds and evolved into individuals to which i could no longer relate. Happily, this is not the case, and after a few jars with some familiar faces, i felt like i never even left.

I still laugh with the same friends, drink in the same bars, and stagger by the friendly chip shop on the way through those winding windy streets.

My fears of disassociation dissolved quite quickly when I met close friends and promptly became totally intoxicated. I did, however, suffer the embarrassment of being drunk under the table by my parents- who are both rounding their 50s. Although i suppose they do have experience on their side.

Happily for me, tomorrow i shall have the opportunity to charge the batteries and avoid all reckless, yet lovable, behavior.

This weekend is gearing up to be a wild one as i willingly fall off the wagon and into dark nights and short days that stir memories of my not so distant youth.

I'll post pics as soon as i find the time transfer them from my camera.

Slan abhaile

Nat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home